Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Monday 30 July 2007

Best Shot Monday: Nostalgia

Well, I have to admit, what with looking at all the shots of edible young kids on Best Shot Mondays, I do hanker for the days when Baby Angel was, well, more of a baby! So as this week has been yet another round of plan lessons, teach, mark, plan lessons, upload exam scores, mark etc etc etc oh and the 'Infamous paint colour incident', I haven't taken many photos and I decided instead to take a nostalgic trip into my oldest digital files to savour her fast disappearing childhood once again.

This photo, one of my faves, was taken at her 6th birthday party which was pirate themed. For Christmas we'd all seen 'Treasure Island' the pantomime (an interesting concept) with a resulting fascination for the story, purchase and repeated watching of the movie and a great deal of imaginative play centred around pirate themes. So in May, for her birthday, the pirate theme was still relatively current.

The kids came in various forms of pirate attire, although the one who came in full medieval armour was probably stretching the theme a bit, and we played pirate versions of party games. I think there was 'Pass the Black Spot' (it's a pirate thing) which was a version of Hot Potato, then a walking the plank game which involved jumping onto the mini tramp (surpising what keeps them entertained) and of course the predicatable 'treasure hunt'.

As is tradition, I made the completely inedible cake, this time in the guise of 'Treasure Island'.
Yes, they are meant to be palm trees.

Of course there was a great deal of play fighting with pirate swords and the like. At one point I observed the medieval knight and his friend attacking my forget-me-nots with their swords.
"Hold it!!!" declared Captain Bligh (or Long John Silver, or me...take your pick)...."There will be no destroying flowers in my garden." A moment later I looked around to see them slicing the tops off the soon to be flowering montbretias.
"But they didn't have any flowers on them!" protested Sir Slice up the Gardenalot.


"OK guys," (Bligh again, in a slow and measured manner through clenched teeth),"There will be no slicing of any item in this garden, flowering or otherwise. There will be no slicing of trees, shrubs, grass or bush. There will be no slicing of anything growing out of the ground and or displaying the colour green. There will be no slicing of each other!!"

"aaaawwwwwww!!?" (chorus of chastised pirates)

Now I suspect all this nostalgia may be breaking the Best Shot Monday rules, but I will try and have something recent and relevant for next week Tracey, promise! :-D

8 comments:

Cari said...

Awww! Those are so adorable. It looks like they had a lot of fun at the pirate party!

kim said...

very cool cake! I love the first shot. Very cute.

Anonymous said...

That cake! What a work of art!

And I love the paint color story--you persevered, and I am sure it is the better for it!

allie said...

Arrrgh, Matie!! OK, that was cheesy:) Cute pics . . .

Christina said...

I feel like tomorrow *I* will be looking back on *my* baby's 6th birthday! It goes so fast. Your Angel Baby sure did make a cute little pirate.

And I am impressed by the cake! I am SO not a baker.

Brittany said...

Oh, that cake looks so cute! I love cooking, but I can't bake worth a darn.... Super cute pics!

In response to my blog:

Diabetic diets and low-carb diets seem to match up well, as far as I have found. As long as you use some sort of sugar substitute... and depending on what you fill them with, I think it would work. My hubby is complaining about not being full, too... but I think it's in his head (haha). I thought they were filling, so it could be worth a shot! :)

Arizaphale said...

Thanks so much for the cake compliments but once again I reiterate....the cake is inedible!!! :-D I am not a 'baker' I am an "icer'!!!! :-D

Anonymous said...

quality cake!