Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Monday 9 July 2007

Of Balloons and Holidays

Yesterday in Sunday School (oops...its been re-branded...we have to call it Kidzone now) the kids all had balloons. They were blowing them up repeatedly and letting the air out in that hilarious manner which makes them sound either like creaky doors or f*rts. I watched them all, killing themselves laughing over and over and tried to remember what it was like to find that funny. I wasn't cross or even put out, they were having a lovely time but I just realised how far from childhood I am.

The recent weeks of assessment, marking, revision, reports and exams are finally at an end. I have been judge and jury for a whole bunch of kids, giving marks and making comments that may have life changing or at least pocket money changing implications for some time. I am asking for 'more rigorous application', 'a better attitude', 'continued sound work' and I am asking this of kids who still find balloon noises funny. I'm not sure what this means but I do find it incongruous.

Occasionally, at 'Kidzone', one of the littler people would accidentally let a balloon go and it would fly furiously about the room, farting and sqeaking, dashing itself against walls and ceiling and falling, finally, limp and exhausted to the floor.

Well, I may not be able to relate to the kids anymore but I think I can certainly relate to the balloon.

As the holidays start, I run a real risk of 'balloon behaviour'. The pressure is off, I have been released and my natural tendency is to fly around like a loon achieving very little and wearing myself out. I hereby resolve to behave differently these holidays.

I will plan out my time. I will work a little each morning so that exam marking is not left until Sunday two weeks time when I will, of necessity, commence the 'sleep on the sofa- work til 3am' cycle again. I will get into my garden. I will exercise daily. I will be organised. I will find the appointment card which tells me when I am due at the physio's this morning.............aaaauuugh...here comes the ceiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFFFFFFFWWWWWWWWWWWWTHTTTTTT.

No comments: