Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 12 September 2007

Failure To Launch

That was last night. I went around to my Bestie's place for our usual Tuesday night tea together, got back around 8.30pm, went for a lie down and didn't bother getting up again; except to take off my clothes at 11.30pm.

So. No work done last night!

I paid for my big sleep today though with general lack of preparedness in the classroom resulting in unsettled kids. Especially in maths.

Year 9 English did have a few good goes at writing Limericks however. I LOVE writing Limericks and it always amazes me how kids just don't get how the lines scan.

We used to make them up for our kids when they were little. Here's mine for The Baby Angel.

There was a young lady called Cleo
Who played violin in a trio
She fancied a fellow
Who played on the cello
And now they are flying to Rio!!!!!!

Here however, are some Y9 efforts for your enjoyment.

There once was a young man called Rees
Who hopped on a plane to Greece
The service was poor
So he walked out the door
And failed to land in one piece

Not bad!!! I favoured ....'and made a quick landing in Nice'.... but as most of them had no idea where or what Nice was, I was outvoted.

There was a young man called Brandon
Who carried a very big lantern
It dropped on the ground
The pieces couldn't be found
He observed this and threw a big tantrum.

Hmmmmm. Ok, moving quickly on to the quiet boy in the back of the room whose mouth would not melt butter.

There was a young man called Larry
Who looked for a woman to marry
He found a young girl
Her hair was in curls
But it turned out her real name was Barry

Enough said.

Ashleigh,
was last seen writing something about a wet T shirt competition which
'....left her covering herself bashf''ly....'

but Meagan was a star.

There was a young lady called Meagan
Who once got a ticket for speedin'
The car was so slow
And the gauge was so low
Twas an obviously incorrect readin'

TAAADAAA

Good grief. What AM I teaching them?

9 comments:

Melody A. said...

I like the Larry/Barry one. Talented bunch.

Neither of you gave the awful details of the dog bite? Where's the dog now? Is your friend a house burgler and met up with a guard dog?

Arizaphale said...

Didn't we??? I thought she did on her site! Well, it was her cousins dog (a Rottweiler) and it has bitten a few people lately (he's 17 years old)so he's gone to the Vet's on a one way trip this week. Sad but necessary. Imagine if that had been Dog Owner's 5 year old grand daughter's face!!!!

Anonymous said...

Those made me laugh. But, yeah, I can see why that age group turned down your suggestion for the first one.

Just for you, I'll share the one I wrote, oh about 17 years ago (yes, I still remember it - I wish I could forget)

There once was a man named Lincoln
his habits were eatin' and drinkin'
He went to a show
and he got quite a blow
And now he's on pennies a-clinkin'

Give me a break. I was 12!

Dawn said...

Oh my gosh those limericks were GREAT! I used to teach middle school English/writing so I'm with ya on all of their creative attempts at rhyming. Thanks for the laugh.

Melody A. said...

Yikes!! No kidding!

Christina said...

Oh my, that's one nasty looking bite!!!

Love the limericks! that's a talented group you've got.

natalie said...

I am the proud owner of a large dog, but she's a big ole' baby who has NEVER bitten anyone. She'd be on the one way trip to the vet if she'd done that, too.

I laughed out loud at your students' writing. Although, coming form a 2nd grade teacher's perspective, they were pretty fantastic. (2nd graders are 7/8 years old)

kim said...

That made for some fun reading!

kim said...

Oh, and OUCH!