Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Tuesday 2 October 2007

Eight jobs I have Had

Kim at Cancio tagged me for this meme back in the middle of September but what with the whole nightmare reports/teaching/costumes/musical thing I am only now getting around to doing it.

Righto, here we go. Eight jobs I have had. Hmm, when I start to think about it there have been quite a few! (That's enough out of you Mam)........

1. Check Out Chick: An occupation made famous by Norman Gunston in his Soap Opera parody entitled...strangely enough "Checkout Chicks".
I happily intoned,
"Thank you for shopping at Coles New World"
on and off for about 3 years through Matric and Uni. I was even promoted to Fruit and Veg at one point. At least I think it was a promotion.

2. Sewing Machine Operator: in a kids clothing factory in the UK. I did this for 9 months whilst saving to back pack around Europe. I learned many things in this job. Sewing, obviously, the joy of a cheese and onion sandwich and most importantly, the cultural difference in tolerance for bad language that exists between the UK and Australia. One of the more colourful words which peppered my vernacular throughout University and my theatrical career, did NOT go down well when directed at my section supervisor. Even in a light hearted manner. I got all my warnings at once :-(
On a positive note, once I had resigned to go back packing, I had the buzz of seeing one of the outfits I had been a part of making, being worn in Germany!!!!

3. Entertainer: yes, I actually did this for money at one point! Throughout my teenage years I was part of a company who put on children's musicals every school holidays. They drew their chorus from their drama school and paid us the princely sum of $20.00 for two weeks work, two shows a day and a matinee on Saturdays. As we got older and scored bigger parts (Rabbit in Winnie the Pooh: see below) I seem to remember getting a pay rise to about $100.00. I could be mistaken however :-D
(btw: Eeyore is that now famous comedian Shaun Micallef)
Of course I also did a couple of touring musical shows and worked in a theatre restaurant for 2 years but that is a whole other post!

4. Sprouker: "Ladies, step over to the kitchenware department where this month we are having a fantastic sale on Decor products. Look at all these practical but decorative items, all in the new summer 'yummy' colours. Goodness it makes my mouth water just talking about them."
Sad but true. I think they tripled their sales on Decor that month.

5. Pathology: well, not actually pathology but I did have several jobs within a pathology business. I started as a Data Entry Operator in Biochem (How do you recognise the Irish Data Entry Operator? She's the one with Tippex on her screen...) moved to Results/Enquiries where I did the whole telephone voice thing again (see job no 4) and finally Specimen Reception where I was the Night Supervisor. This series of jobs funded me through Teacher's College. Later I also worked as a Courier for a rival Path Lab, in between casual teaching contracts. I could cope with everything except sputum.

6. Doctor's Receptionist: over one Summer when I was Relief Teaching I 'helped out' a friend's father by working in his surgery. He loved me so much that I spent all of first term there before leaving to concentrate on teaching. I learned a lot in this job too. How to take an ECG, do an audiogram and hold a patient's cheek inside out whilst the doctor removed a cyst. I think it was after that experience that I remembered I was supposed to be teaching.

7. Boarding House Mistress: This one was a HOOT. In the few years that I was relief teaching I needed extra cash to fill in the gaps when I didn't get a day's work. As such I took a job as a casual House Mistress in a fancy girl's boarding school in Sydney. I worked Thursday nights and weekends including sleeping over. The girls were revolting!! This job was the first time I realised that I had been entrusted with a Flaming Sword. There was another girl who started at the same time as I did and we were collectively appalled by the behaviour of the pupils. After our first night we asked what 'consequences' we could assign for poor behaviour and were told we could 'gate' the girls (removal of exeat privileges...no weekend trips to town). That weekend we gated 6 dorms. Things improved after that. We once overheard a year 7 girl asking a friend when things were 'going back to normal'...to which we called after her "This IS normal!!!!!"
Sheesh. The funny thing about all this was that when I was at school one of my best friends was a boarder and I regularly rang up on her behalf using my best telephone voice (see jobs no 4 and 5) pretending to be her grandmother and getting her permission to go 'out' on the weekends. Suffice to say that when the girls in my care tried it....I was onto them!

And finally

8. Teacher: my real career. I have worked in One Teacher primary schools, as a Small School Principal, as a large school Deputy Head and as a Special Education Coordinator. Somehow I have segued into secondary school teaching and who knows where my journey will lead me next!(Teaching Assistant Principal circa 1993)...blonde hair and questionable outfit although I remember loving it at the time!!!

Now I am supposed to tag people.....but most people have already done this one. If you haven't done it...please consider yourself 'tagged' and leave a comment to say you have done yours. Then everyone can call over and check you out!!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

So fun to read about more of your life! You are a hoot, my dear.

Thanks for all of your sweet sweet comments on my blog today. That was a treat!! :)

Melody A. said...

And oddly enough, I can see how all of those jobs relate in some way.

I just love those girls' dress uniforms in that last picture. Sometimes I wish my oldest wore uniforms again.

kim said...

Thanks for playing! So cool to get to know you a little better. It's also fun to see the differences between Australia and the US. One of these days, I'm going to send you a an email with a long list of questions about your education system. I'm interested to see what similarities and differences there are.
Let your friend know that I'll be keeping my eye peeled for her post.

Miss Betty Fjord said...

Right! A challenge! I shall now think of 8 jobs I have had, see if I can find ANY accompanying pictures, and post the result. Hmmmm.....