Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Tuesday 13 November 2007

NaBloPoMo #12: By Request

Firstly, thank you from the Baby Angel and I for all your kind comments. We are thoroughly enjoying choosing these photos and sharing them with you. But today's is by special request of my Mum.

Now this is one of those staged studio portraits which you put on your Christmas card and a series which I thought came out quite well despite the cheesy background. The key is the dress.
At 18 months old it was only just fitting the BA at the time this photo was taken but the shot below shows it's significance. In another lifetime I wore that dress, at the tender age of one, as we embarked by boat, for Australia. My Aunt had bought me the dress in the Blyth markets if I am not mistaken (feel free to correct me here either of you if you are reading). And here I am in all my glory, wearing it.
It's made of organza and has borne up very well over the years I think. Very Christmassy in red and white. There is another sensational photo of the BA wearing it, but I chose this one because she was smiling and, having just got her to do it, I didn't want to revert to a pensive shot!!

I'm hoping the dress will still be around when BA has her babies.

8 comments:

Melody A. said...

How fantastic1

Maggie said...

That is so great! I love that you both had the same dress - and I do hope that she has a daughter to dress in it too!

mother said...

Thank you my Angel for letting me see you both in the dress.My tears of nostalgia fell freely.The dress is still here so maybe I`ll bring it for you to put away with your other precious mementoes.love from Mum

Stacy said...

That is so sweet that you both wore that same dress. A beautiful tradition!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have those photos and that dress!!!

Elisa

Laura McIntyre said...

Adorable both the dress and the story, i have a dress that i wore as a little girl that i have been putting on my daughter lately. It works so well over jeans as a retro top. I hope the dress is always around

Christina said...

I can see why you had a special request for that one! Such a special, special dress to shrare with your daughter...and maybe your grandaughter one day? My Grandma made many of my clothes as a little girl, and it's so awesome to see Nadia in those dresses now!

kim said...

That's great. I wish my mom had saved something of mine to pass down to Lauren. I'll have to put aside a special dress of Lauren's to put in her keepsake box.