Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 7 November 2007

NaBloPoMo #6: One Year Old

Remember I said climbing was next? Well this picture demonstrates that but I have skipped past her first steps (at 9 months!) and gone straight to 'combinations of moves'!!!!!

This was taken on her first birthday; that's Grandma behind her with a balloon! Probably holding her hand too although she never really needed it held. That kid was doing gymnastics in the womb and she has rarely stopped since. Oh, I fib. Turn on the TV and she becomes transfixed to the spot!! To this very DAY :-D

This was one of my favourite dresses of hers. Denim. So practical. Wrap around. Again, so practical. Able to be worn over a variety of all in one, button under tops. Remarkably practical!!!
And very stylish I thought.

Notice she's still not smiling much. She didn't give em away easy, especially for the camera. You'll notice the point in her photos when she starts to smile....hasn't stopped since.

I wanted to say an official thank you to all my bloggy friends who are taking this journey with me. Most of the time I sigh in nostalgia as you post something about your babes. I wish I had had a) a digital camera and b) a blog in those days. There was so much to collect and record.
It is great to relive those baby/toddler/small person days as I watch your kids and read about their antics (probably not the right word but you know what I mean). It actually makes me forget how middle aged I am :-D So thank you all again. A big, heartfelt thank you.

It's funny to think that for such a long time I was sure I would have another baby. I thought I would meet Mr Right and that would be it. I was encouraged by the stories of friends or friends who had had late life babies (one was 47!!). "There's hope for me yet!" I thought. But when I met Himself he let me know early on that he was not 'totin' live ammunition' (sorry, couldn't think of a polite was of saying it) having already had 3 kids.

Initially I thought perhaps we could go through medical routes to conceive, I mean, it's not unknown for these things to be reversed. I was only 44. Only. Then one night, after we had decided to get married, we took the Baby Angel (aged 10) and Small Boy (aged 7) to the pub for a meal. A nice family friendly pub, with children's menus and a play area.....

Well, by the time we got home I looked at Himself and said "I'm too old for anymore kids." I was exhausted!!! If they weren't running around on a Coca Cola high (don't start me on kids and Coke......we don't do it anymore!!! It was an Himself thing) they were bickering over whose sundae was bigger or complaining about the quality of their chicken nuggets. They were bored, they were high, they were tired, they were bouncing off walls. I suddenly realised that people have kids young for a very, good reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But at the time this photo was taken I was blissfully unaware of what life would throw at me. Of the twists and turns it would take and of the blessings that would rain down upon me in abundance.

Speaking of blissfully unaware, until this NaBloPoMo, I was blissfully unaware of the rubbish quality of my scanner!!!!!! The photo I scanned in was as clear as a bell and this image could have been shot through a piece of waxed paper!!!!!!

Onwards and upwards everyone. I'm looking forward to having a chance to go check out all your NBPM posts. (I am so sick of typing that acronym!!!!)

6 comments:

Blueberry said...

that IS a cute dress. and i LOVE how serious she always looks- like she is suspicious of the camera!! :)

Anonymous said...

Ally smiled constantly as a baby. She stlil has a (n almost) permanent smile. Anya never did until she got older, and still she only smiles when something tickles her. I used to worry about it so muhc. kids are so different!

Anna said...

I hear you on the age of blogging, because while in some ways I am right in there with the young kids right now, I work with a twenty-something blogger (Molly, her photos are on my site today), and I see her circle of just-out-of-college bloggers, and I wonder what that would have been like to fearlessly express myself in this medium as a young, single woman. Interesting thoughts, eh?

Such sweet photos, quality or not. I need to get a scanner to reveal some of the past in photos, too!

kim said...

Kudos for you for even considering a baby later in life! I feel old at 32 chasing my kids around. I can't imagine doing it in my 40s.

That is such a cute dress!

Karen said...

I don't think I can express to you how helpful it was for me to read this post. As you know, I'm struggling with decisions about whether to have another and it's so rare to be able to know how others came to the choice not to. This post was a gift, really. Thank you so much!

(Plus cute pictures always help!)

Christina said...

She may not be smiling, but her serious expression cracks me up!! Sounds like she's been a livewire from day one. I'm enjoying the trip down memory lane!