Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Friday 9 November 2007

NaBloPoMo #8: The Gardener.

Oh I am so disappointed by the quality of these scans. This picture is to die for in real life! I don't know whether it's her little hat, her frilly T shirt, her soft frilly shorts with the huge nappy underneath? Is it her bare feet? Her wheel barrow or the look on her face as she is sprung trying to behead an agapanthas??? This was such a special summer. The previous year she had been brand new and the heat (even in the UK) did not treat us well what with breast feeding and night feeds. Houses in the UK have no air conditioning and are not designed to promote through breezes. In a hot summer they are stuffy and when you leave windows open, bugs come in. And spiders Brittany!! BIG spiders. Try realising at 4am as you finish a feed that there is a palm sized monster trooping across the bedroom floor! You stifle the overwhelming urge to scream (there are after all others asleep in the house....did I mention that I lived with Mum and dad for the first 18 months?) and tiptoe across the bed (can't put your feet on the floor cos it might get you) to put the baby in her basket, then search the room for an appropriate weapon. You spot an encyclopedia of jungle animals (my mother has kept every book we ever owned) and bravely snatch it off the shelf. Meanwhile the monster has disappeared under your desk. Ever so carefully you place your feet upon the floor and peer under the desk. It peers back at you, cunningly wedged in between the side of the desk and the carpet. In one swift move you thrust the encyclopedia under the desk whacking it repeatedly against the side of the upright section so that the sorry spider is mangled into a plethora of smears and stray limbs. You then leave it there to crisp up for a couple of days before asking someone else to vacuum it up.

Meanwhile, your sister, who is staying for the weekend, appears at the bedroom door. The thumping (and involuntary grunts of eeew eeew) have awoken her next door. Upon discovering what has happened, she goes next door and gets her husband to swap beds with her as she has been camping on a mattress on the floor!!!! :-D He's such a laid back chap. He never complains.

That was the first summer. The second summer was much better. The night feeds were over, she was mobile and entertaining; a real little character. She loved her paddling pool and sliding down the climbing frame slide into the water.

Maybe one more summer shot tomorrow before we head into Autumn 1996.

6 comments:

Blueberry said...

ha ha ha ha ha! oh my, you tell such funny spider stories! :)

your daughter looks especially beautiful in today's picture. even if the scan is bad the picture is still lovely!

Brittany said...

Big Spiders? Ok... I think I'll just not come to the UK in the summer.

And I always leave it to crustify to allow someone else to clean-up, as well... hahahaha. Those big ol' encyclopedias (and cookbooks in my house) are the best spider killers.


The photo is SOOOO cute!!!! You can see right passed the bad scan, and see how precious and beautiful she is!

(I posted a story about Juan Valdez for you, on my blog, go read it! :))

Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

Before scanning... is there a place to adjust the dpi? My scanner is automatically set to 300. I adjust it on "advanced settings" so that it is at least 600.

Adorable picture!

Karen said...

She is such a cutie! And that little outfit is to die for.

Please - no more spider stories! All of my nightmares are bug nightmares. I do not do well with thoughts of creepy things lurking while I sleep. (And I also tend to leave the carcass for someone else to clean up...)

Christina said...

Even with the poor quality scan, that's a stunner of a picture. I love it for all the reasons you laid out!

LOL are your spider stories...

kim said...

That is and adorable picture! Oh... I'm with your sister. I would not be sleeping on a floor with large spiders afoot.
Also, when you checked you scanner settings is it set to scan a photo? I had a scanner once that let me choose between b&w document, newspaper, and color and b&w photos. Don't know if it will help or not.
The picture is still really great. There is something about it. I guess it's all those little things combined. I do love the outfit so.