Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Thursday 1 November 2007

Theme Thursday: Madonna (Mama)


I love this photo so much. Of course its scanned in from the analog so its noisy and imperfect but I just love what it captured. Himself says I should send it to him and he'll fix it for me...but I know he's got better things to do so....

A friend took it in Brittany in France. At sunset. By the beach. The light is incredible and I'm not sure we realised it at the time. The Baby Angel was asking me something or telling me something........I'm not sure which but I sure didn't know my photo was being taken.

It was a fantastic holiday that year. The BA (aged 3) and I drove from Cherbourg down to the Dordogne to meet my sister and brother-in-law and some friends. We stayed in a gite which is an old farmhouse...in this case I think an old barn, converted for the tourist trade but still rustic and full of charm. And bugs.

The trip from Cherbourg was stinking hot in my non air-conditioned car (cars in the UK do not place as much stock in cooling as we do in Australia and the States!) and the two of us had a fine old time listening to kids tapes as we motored along the autoroutes and back roads. I realised that I was not going to make it all the way in one day with a tired 3 year old so we stopped in Poitiers to camp. I put up the tent while the Baby Angel cavorted and helped. I can tell you, she was a damn fine travelling companion. We cooked on a little 2 burner gas stove and got on our way again the next day, bright and early.

We spent a fantastic 5 days in the Dordogne and then took off again, just the two of us, for Brest in Brittany. On the way we stopped at Carnac where we again found a campsite in a happening French seaside resort. What a wild party atmosphere that was!! We went to the campsite karaoke that night and the Baby Angel had a swim in the pool and a play on the playground. It was magic. Just the two of us. I look back now and remember with a lump in my chest how incredibly bittersweet it was. Here we were, with so much love between us, having a great time in the most amazing of romantic holiday places but with no-one else to share it with.

Nevertheless, we travelled the remaining miles to Brest, then on to Perros Guirec where this photo was taken and then the 5 hour drive back up the coast to catch the ferry back to the UK.
A total journey of over 800miles. Just us two.

These are the things I treasure and keep in my heart.
And now put on my blog. :-D

For more Beautiful Mamas check out Theme Thursday at Picture This.

14 comments:

Brittany said...

Such a sweet moment! I love it as well!!

Brittany France...Sounds like a wonderful place to me ;)

Anna said...

Lovely and amazing. Can't wait to see the rest of the month.

chaoticfamily said...

What a wonderful memory to have with your lil one!

Maya said...

What a precious memory. Isn't it wonderful to have photos to look back on that remind us of those moments?

mandaroo63 said...

I love the photo exactly the way it is. It really sets the mood. How wonderful to spent those times together....moments to treasure forever.

Kellan said...

This was a lovely picture! Have a great day.

Stacy said...

That is a great picture, indeed! That trip sounds just fantastic, too. What wonderful memories! :)

Amy Jo said...

Lovely. Simply lovely.

Karen said...

What a beautiful memory and a wonderful photo. I see why you treasure both.

Maggie said...

What a beautiful memory - and what a fantastic photo to go with it!

Dawn said...

That is a beautifully captured moment. The best ones seem to be candid, don't they?

Anonymous said...

A moment and photo to treasure, indeed. You are lost in each other, and it's beautiful.

Christina said...

what a special, special memory...a picture cherish forever! I love how a picture like that brings all the memories flooding back...

Cari said...

That is a beautiful picture. And it does exactly what all wonderful photos do (in my opinion anyway)...evokes special memories and emotions. :)