Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 19 December 2007

200th Post: Why I have a Swimming Pool

It's 10 minutes to midnight and the temperature indoors is in the high 30s (I don't care what the weather widget says...it is obviously only monitoring the floor of our pool!). The drive shaft(or axle, according to whether you are me or the repair man describing the problem) of the large fan which is the mainstay of our evaporative cooling system, has sheared off. They have had to 'order the part'. Need I mention that it is Christmas?

Tonight it is sooooooooo still and humid and hot. I had a meeting for the key personnel of Kidzone (our version of Sunday Schoool) and the passionate, vociferous group talked long and loud as the temperature rose. Baby Angel miserable complained of the heat in her room and, after the crowd left, I transferred the freestanding floor fan down to her room.

As the last taillight disappeared off into the distance, Himself and I could be seen hightailing it out to the back garden in the direction of.......the pool.

No matter how much hard work a pool is and how you curse it as you; skim leaves off the top, add chlorine, algaecide or acid, vacuum it, empty the filter basket, fix the creepy crawley which has become clogged yet again, chase out the local ducks, back flush the filter or top up the water to keep it above the intake for the filter, it is all worth it as you plunge naked into the cool water at midnight when it is still 30C!

Sorry, was that too much information :-D?

6 comments:

Tara said...

I'm jealous, no, I'm beyond jealous. LOL It's 19F here and we have over two feet of snow. It would be so nice to swim during Christmas...

Jeff Keith said...

I love our pool too. We had a duck hatch ducklings and we woke up to 12 ducklings in our pool once. I agree it is worth the trouble!

A Free Man said...

I don't even know if I can remember what 30 feels like. After our British non summer and no trip back to the States this year it just seems so long. I would kill for the weather to justify a pool - never mind a pool.

Arizaphale said...

Yea but I bet you would want an air conditioner!!!

Jeff. I hate the ducks. They cr** everywhere and do not produce cute ducklings. :-) Glad yours did!

Stacy said...

LOL...a little bit TMI! That sounds great after a HOT day.

Christina said...

LOL, that last comment gave me a giggle. :o) But what awful timing for the AC. 30 still sounds cold to me, tho, as I'm used to thinking in Fahrenheit!