Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 12 December 2007

....Even One Starfish*

I have had a number of difficult students this year. One has been on the edge of 'departing' so many times that the parents have decided another school may be the best option, before it is a necessity! That same pupil has argued with me, confronted me, ignored me, accused me (you never help me) and generally made life draining for the last 11 months. On the last day I received this

Dear Mrs A

I really wanted to thank you for how much you have helped me in the past year. I have learnt so much from you not only in Science and Maths but I have also learnt that teachers do care! other teachers may care but you are the only teacher I have ever felt cares about me and my future! I appreciate that more than you know, it has really helped me get through school a lot easier! Even though I was sometimes naughty and disruptive you always stuck by me and reminded me that you truly do care for my future so I should too! I appreciate that more than anything!

God bless and keep safe


And THAT ladies and gentlemen...is why we continue to go to work each day.

*For the Starfish reference

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - that is simply beautiful!

Hooray for you for sticking by her. And Hooray for her for recognizing that!!!

WELL DONE!!!!
Elisa

A Free Man said...

You're right - it's little things like that letter that make helping people worth it!

Blueberry said...

awwwww! how wonderful! that makes it all worth while, doesn't it? clearly you are a wonderful teacher!! :)

Katie Swaner said...

My nephew is like that (with the disruptive, almost getting expelled, etc). He had a teacher that helped straighten him out, an dWe are all thankful (although he still has a ways to go). You made more than a difference in that one student's life, you affected the whole family.

Maggie said...

You are awesome! What a wonderful adult they are going to grow up to be, no doubt due in large part to you!

Maya said...

WOW! You are a wonderful teacher!

Jessie said...

That's great! A sweet reward for the end of the year.