Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Friday 21 December 2007

Weather :-( and a Staff BBQ

For the last few days it has been in the high 30s (90s) and humid. Yesterday the BA and I were in the pool. Today we are having a BBQ and as I woke up this morning, here is what greeted me through the window.

I was woken by the sound of rain on the roof. A sound I had almost forgotten.

The gutters were overflowing.

You have to wonder sometimes whether the Lord has a great sense of humour!

Still, I got my prawn skewers done, the pavlova assembled, the potato and pasta salads made and the mushrooms stuffed. The beautiful BA did some ironing for me, dusted, vacuumed and cleaned the bathroom. Number 1 daughter!!!!!

No 2 son on the other hand, snapped at me through his hangover and made himself scarce >:-(

By the time Himself arrived back with Small Boy all was practically done with the exception of the chicken kebabs. There ensued a window of stress and panic as we threw together the chicken kebabs, washed the dishes and put nibbles out on platters all at the same time. When our first guests arrived I was still in my little black cooking dress and apron. Quite a sight!!! I finished the last kebab and disappeared quickly to make my self presentable leaving Himself to be sociable (he he he).

From there it was mostly downhill as the others arrived and we were able to sit down for a few minutes as we waited for the last couple to arrive. It was quite the 'United Nations' really. Working for Himself's small business we have a Korean and a Finn as well as an interstater and two homegrown South Aussies. I claimed to represent the transnational contingent having feet in both the Aus and UK camps. At times the converstion was quite challenging!!! :-)

At some point we ventured onto the subject of vegetarian meals and I confirmed with both my veggie visitors that they ate seafood. (prawn kebabs remember) Oooops. One of them didn't.
Quick as a flash I was on my feet and into the kitchen. In record time I whipped out some lasagne, goats cheese and cherry tomatoes and threw together the dish I hadn't had time to make. I didn't bother to let Himself know. He was stressed enough already.

I also threw together the pavlova while the guests were there and am pleased to report that it was polished off completely.

So, good result all round!! The kids played Hide n' Seek for hours and I didn't see the X Box go on once!!!

Here's hoping you are ready when your visitors cross the threshold this Christmas.

4 comments:

A Free Man said...

Well done. It seems like BBQs always go that way - emergency cooking required. Truth be told, I kind of like it - tests my creativity and grace under pressure.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Arizaphale. We're off in the morning to Canada - it's been nice getting to "know" you this year. I look forward to learning lots more in the New Year.

Christina said...

Bummer about the rain...but it sounds like you made the best of it an had a successful party anyway! Kudos on whipping together an additional entree - and you say you don't cook?!?!

Melody A. said...

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you had a great celebration.

We won't be hosting any guest this holiday. I have enough counter space in our little rental house kitchen to hold a loaf of bread. Not people friendly. But next year for sure. And we have a pool already in the new house waiting to be filled. Amazingly it's winter here and probably could be used right now.

And about that shirt, I saw lots of the sort at Disney. "Because I Said So", "Brat and Proud", "I'm the Boss".

OK, got cleaning to do!

Arizaphale said...

Glad to have you back!! What IS is about shirts which make parents look like idiots and children look unpleasant?????