Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Tuesday 1 January 2008

Best Shot Monday: Happy New UFO (edited version)

How cool is this???? Click and look at it large! I am stoked by this one!!

So, what IS it I hear you ask????? A fair question which I am at loss to answer. I know WHERE it is (end of Brighton Jetty). I know when I took the shot (about 1 am) but I am as yet unsure of the actual purpose of the structure! :-) Here's a shot of it in the daytime.

So let me fill in a few gaps. It's New Year's Eve 2007. We've been to a lovely party, seen midnight in watching the fireworks from my friend's front steps and now my UK brother in law wants to do what you NEVER do in the UK on NYE.....walk on a beach.

So we headed down to Brighton Beach at around 1am. The temp was still around 36C, the water was heavenly; foam glowing in the moonlight, sand hard and crusty, drunks vocal and damp. The BA, on only her 3rd NYE awake took this shot of the three of us, silly and happy.

In the background of this photo, top left, you can see the structure which is my 'best shot'. It's a sort of 'lit tower' on the end of the pier. I don't know if it has any purpose at all. Perhaps it is a Telecom network tower or something...who knows. Regardless, it is cleverly lit and made a great shot when we reached it at the end of the pier.

The end of the pier was an experience in itself. We met up with party friends on the beach (the joy of mobile phones) and BA insisted on the jetty walk. Half way down the pier we came upon an Asian family training small dogs to stand on their hind legs. Now why didn't I think of doing that for NY?? When we got to the end we discovered the whole NY Testosterone thing.

"Happy New Year love."
"Oh, yes, Happy NY."
"Are you jumping off then?"
(Me)"Hhahahahahahahahha. Not in a million years."
(Him) looks at me as if...well what have you bovvered to walk all this way for??
(Him turns his attention to Big J) "What about you mate??? You jumpin in?
(BigJ has an accent like the Queen)" Err I don't think so, thank you anyway."
"Cuuuuuuuume on mate! It's 2008. It's New Year's Eve. You gotta do it."

Ignoring the confusion in logic contained in the last statement several of us exclaimed over the safety issues involved. None of this seemed to deter Testosterone Man who climbed over the barrier and, clinging Kate Winslett like to the railing, embraced his lady friend in a final exhortation (fantastic word eh??) to join him in his leap into the unknown. She declined but kissed him soundly.

At this point my group urged me to stop taking blog oriented photos of 'the locals' and accompany them back to the relative safety of the shore.Here's a gentleman who made the jump and survived!

Here's a lady who shrieked when I took her picture.
"I can't stand these b***** maggots."
I think she was fishing......or it was a commentary on the locals....

Here's a bunch pleased their mate surfaced after the jump....

Here's the gang suggesting it's time we went home before I got them all into trouble!

We started to walk back to civilisation but my attention was caught again by the partner of Testosterone Man who at this stage seemed to be peering over the edge of the pier into the inky abyss below wherein her love lay, dog paddling. He seemed to be calling up to her that she join him in the water and we began cautioning her as to why it was a bad idea.

"It might be shallow," I suggested,"You could break something."
"Yes, think of all the trouble you went to tonight to make yourself look beautiful," my sister suggested,"You'll ruin your makeup."
"I'd totally go in if it wasn't dark and I had my bathers," called the BA. (not helpful)
"Don't follow the crowd," a friend begged,"It isn't worth it."

"Uh huh," muttered Miss Testosterone Boy..."And I only met him tonight....."

We left the pier, safe in the assurance that she was unlikely to fling herself over the edge for Mr "I Just Met Him Tonight." I've never seen Big J walk so fast. Except for the time we suggested he accompany us into the Supre sale and that was in the opposite direction!!!! :-D

For more Best Shot Monday , click over to Mother May I?

(edited to include more accurate information from the BA)

16 comments:

tracey clark said...

Finally, the Mothership has landed!
Cool shot!
Happy 2008!

Maya said...

What a hilarious story! I'd love to be in the UK for New Years. Must do that one day!

The UFO is so cool...love the green glow from it.

chaoticfamily said...

Looks like you are having some fun - Happy New Year and BSM to you!!!

PS - yes it was my birthday in early Dec - seems as though you just had one 2 so happy b-day!

Would it be ok - if I were to add you to my links???

Erinne

Christina said...

Oooh, that is one groovy shot! Sounds like quite the New Year's Eve. Ours will be conciderably calmer - on the couch, wathcing HP, while the kiddo snoozes. :o) So....how's 2008 start out?!?!?

Phyllis Sommer said...

i love that cool shot, and a great story, too. happy new year!

Dawn said...

Happy New Year!!

Maggie said...

What a cool shot! And Happy New Year!!

Brittany said...

ha ha ha ha!! I am laughing SO hard right now. I love how BA said she'd jump in... you go girl! ;)

Anyway- photo...way cool! It is much cooler at night than in the day.

Maggie said...

Well we certainly wouldn't want BA to think that there was 'incorrect information' in your post!

And in response to your questions:
I have a feeling you are about to get more answers from me than you ever wanted….

Re: 100 Things, Part 1
I know all sorts of things – I don’t really pick and chose, although some people I know more things about than others. I can know with about 99% accuracy about pregnancies, births, deaths, diagnoses, career changes, and even test scores. I usually don’t say anything, even when I am sure – because it makes people look at me strangely and freaks them out. And if I do mention anything, I try to be really vague, so it seems like I am guessing…even though I am totally not. Usually I have dreams about things, although sometimes I just ‘know’. I know – it’s very creepy and very, very strange.

Re: Off the Naughty List
I would like to hang the sign on the front door, but now it’s just in the entryway…I’m a little afraid that it will grow legs and walk away if I just have it on the door…

Re: 100 Things, Part 3
I don’t know that there is anyone to give you an objective opinion :). When I left nursing I went back to school to complete my medical school prerequisites, and have applied for admission for fall of 2008. It takes forever to apply, so I haven’t gotten in anywhere yet…but I haven’t gotten rejected from all the places I applied either, so I guess there’s still a little hope!

Hope that you had a wonderful start to your 2008!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time! We're bringing in the New Year at home with the kiddos this year.
I am loving the shot of the ufo thing. Your perspective was excellent!

Blueberry said...

that is a great picture!

and what an eventful new years eve you had!!!
happy new year!! :)

Anonymous said...

My sister and her two boys (5 and 3) are in Adelaide at the moment visiting our mum. My nephews were still in a friends pool at midnight on New Years Eve and think that everyone in Adelaide has a pool! I am definitely jealous that I wasn't there swimming alongside them. The boys will get quite the shock when they head home to arctic Sweden in a week!

mandaroo63 said...

Wow, he's pretty crazy! Glad he didn't get hurt though. And, that does look like a UFO! Cool shot!
Happy New Year to you!

Karen said...

That looks like a very lovely way to ring in the New Year. Love your photo, too. I thought of you mid-day here when the news coverage talked about how you had already rung in 2008. It's amazing how that time difference really is, well, a difference!

Thanks for checking in on me over at my blog. I'm pathetic, aren't I? Yes, I've just been busy with the holidays. I have things to say, just no time to say them! But all is well. :)

A Free Man said...

Sounds like a great New Year's Night! Aussies in their cups, eh? At least they sound good natured as opposed to some of the Poms in their cups I've run across.

kim said...

Sounds like a fun and exciting New Years Eve!