Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 27 February 2008

You Are Invited to a Masked Ball

There is absolutely no excuse for me blogging right now. % I have work to mark, courses to plan and sleep to catch up on having roused myself (ooer) at 4am in order to catch up with things I slept through the night before. Like work. [DS % al coda]

But this post has been hanging around in my head for several months now and I have wrestled with writing it. Last night as the Bestie and I talked about some of my pupils at school and I showed her the blog entry, she challenged me and it brought up the whole issue again. And it is this.

Anonymity.

Where to start?

Some of you, who have hung around these pages for a while now, will remember my Bestie and perhaps have visited her blog. I launched her upon you as she recounted the unfortunate tale (heh heh heh no pun intended) of the Rottweiler that bit her butt and provided photographic evidence of same. She 'reviewed' the school musical...perhaps harshly but it certainly made me laugh... and then there was the day that we visited the school fair together and she managed to find, much to her hysterical amusement, a salt dough crucifix at the craft stall. Did I mention the Bestie is an Atheist? (capital A)

The thing is, she used to have a blog. It was a fun blog. It was witty and edgy and oft opinionated (we're like that) and it had wild/funny pictures and recounted stories of her life, at home with family and friends and from time to time.....at work. Are you hearing where this is going?

Like me, she put her picture on the sidebar and like me she had a 'screen-name'. She never referred to anyone by their real names, and that included her place of work, but she did recount events that happened there and made comment on the political scene that surrounded it. I linked to her blog, perhaps in a less than discreet manner but most importantly, she, in her usual trusting way, gave the address to several friends and colleagues whom she believed had a healthy sense of disrespect and a good sense of humour.

She no longer has that job.

As happens in situations where you tell a 'trusted few', the address got out. Most of the office has been reading the blog and loving it for months but one slightly 'holier than thou type' took offence and reported the blog to the Board. Who over-reacted in the extreme.

The thing that really gets my goat about the whole business is that the Bestie LOVED her job. She was passionate about the cause and not at all flippant when going about the serious day to day business of managing a range of social minorities whom most employers would have declared bankruptcy and changed business addresses, rather than employ. The week before the 'beginning of the end' we had spent an entire day making ribbons for badge day.....calloused fingers and all! I don't believe, as CEO, that this was in her job description!!

But my Bestie is not a political animal. She always does her best and does the best for the organisation and she has no defences for when people are threatened by her or object to her style or challenge her personal life. The sharks were circling. Those with a personal interest in her job (they wanted it) or with a complaint against her rapid changes to the 'system' or with a belief that as a non member of their 'community' that she couldn't effectively manage their organisation, seized the opportunity to sink in their fangs.

Over what? An 'anonymous' blog which occasionally poked gentle fun at the ' community'? A blog which dealt mostly with family and friends, which did not come up on any Google search of keywords.....except Arizaphale........and which also carried the fire of her zeal and the anger she felt towards the Government and the lunatic fringe which threatened the funding of her organisation! It incenses me still to think about it.

When the letter came however, it was easy to see how, out of context, her words had been twisted and misinterpreted. My Bestie, one of the most long standing and loyal of (I wish I had another word for it) Fag Hags....was accused of being homophobic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *bitter laugh*

At the end of the day, although she parted company with the organisation, she was vindicated in that the National organisation kept her on the board of directors and asked her to consider the role of Fund Raising Manager; many people in 'the community' regard her highly and are appalled at her treatment; and the key players responsible for her demise have since resigned.

She also very quickly got another job with an equally deserving organisation.

But all this begs the question. What about work? What about anonymity? How anonymous should one be? I mean, I know for a fact that I 'bond' (is that the right word?) with a blogger better if I can picture them. So I put up my picture. I have nothing to be ashamed of and don't indulge in that 'say whatever comes into your head because I'm anonymous' style of communication that many turn specifically to blogs to fulfill. (er well except for the unfortunate incident over at 'ask and ye shall receive' ....no link given) I want to talk about my work because it occupies huge parts of my mind and heart (much to Himself's chagrin) but I don't want to offend anybody...even unintentionally.

Bugger. Best not blog then.

My intellect and world experience tells me that I should take down my photo on the sidebar if I want to talk about work. The other option is don't talk about work.

Anyone got a third option or some sage advice?????

16 comments:

Brittany said...

I'm not sure what advice to give. I think the blogging world should be free of judgment. This is supposed to be a place where we can say what we went, when we want, and how we want.

I feel for your friend that lost her job over it. That, in my opinion, is just plain silliness! She couldn't have said anything THAT bad that would cause her to lose her job?! How sad is that? :( People are that insecure and that juvenile, that they would fire her because she has an opinion?

I think you're doing everything you can, by staying anonymous and by not using any of your family members' names.

That's all I've got. ha ha ha.

The Honourable Husband said...

New job? I must call her.

I'm in the midst of politics at work, too. And it's all in German, so I'm at a disadvantage.

Maggie said...

That is terrible! I am so sorry to hear that happened to her - but I'm glad that she seems to have made the best of it!

I think that is a hard question, and one that has different answers for different folks. I had my blog for many months before I attached my first name or a picture of myself to it; I did that at the same time that I got an 'anonymous' blog that has no connection to my 'real' blog at all.

One of the things to think about is that there are pictures not only of you, but also of your kiddos and family. If someone knows you, then seeing them would tip them off to it being your blog, even if your picture wasn't on the sidebar. It's only fair to want to vent about work, but maybe you should consider having an anonymous spot to do it, where people who know you in a non-online way don't know it's you.

A Free Man said...

Some people just do not have senses of humor. Re: the work question - I tend to stay away from talking about work at all.

Anonymity is a bit of a tricky one. In hindsight, I should have protected myself a little. I still think about reworking things entirely - changing the site name, moving to a new domain. But I'm a lazy, lazy man.

Gawlerites said...

A little advice from an elder friend of not only yourself but also of Bestie. Do not mention work or those you work with, a Government Authority can be very harsh when they are being pestered by small and simple minded dobbers, and these people or excuses for people often perch in unforseen places

Anonymous said...

Certainly a quandry...
I believe that it is clear that you truly care about your students and that you are merely venting....and that, in reality, you would do anything to help your kids succeed - even the ones who are the most challenging.

Having said that, however, I believe society has gone beserk over privacy issues. Most people freely put "out there" so much personal information that it is almost a joke when they cry foul that someone else "revealed" something.

ALthough I do like reading about your work - because you obviously love what you do and care about the kids - in the best interest of maintaining said job, I'd severely limit the work talk! I see nothing wrong with the story you told of the swimming day when your team finally chose to participate! That was a great tale. But the more descriptive stories like your most recent post about work could cause you harm down the road. And that would be a tragedy.
Being half a world away, there is no way I would ever be able to figure out who is who in your blog - particularly your students. But I suppose that someone from the same town might be able to put two and two together a bit more easily and that could cause you some distress.
Good luck with your decision.
Elisa

Arizaphale said...

Thanks folks. As you may notice I have made a bit of decision around this. Whilst I will still post and vent about work generally, I will avoid stories of particular pupils...especially those whose situations could be easily recognised. Following on from this I have taken down the post you refer to Elisa.

Anonymous said...

I try not to mention work much. I only do it in a roundabout way and never say anything specific. Still, I've heard of a lot of people in Bestie's situation. I should probably limit even more than what I do, but i hate censoring myself.

Stacy said...

Well, it sounds like you have made a decision. I don't talk about work because there isn't much to say. I'm a CPA...it's not too exciting. ;)

kim said...

That's a tough one. We've such strict privacy laws in our schools, I'd most likely think twice before posting about students.
On the other hand, I think you do a good job of keeping everyone anonymous.
And - I enjoy your school stories.

Anonymous said...

i dont like people i dont know saying nasty things so if i limit myself then they dont really know me if they say nasty things. so far noone has on my blog so i'm lucky. also i want the opportunity to be able to say what the fuck i want so i try to stay pretty anonymous but am quite bad about it! depends what ure blog is for- cdvd could turn his into a career with music reviews, interviews and science stuff so his should be public so they can see the 'artist', mine i wanna talk about personal shit so it's easier to not be me online. yours, well i like seeing your pic and your kids are super cute and i think you're fine in your status as you dont reveal nasty things. me, i might wanna dump some issues i might have with a friend and i dont want them googling my name and finding me!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you have to censor yourself now....but wise to learn from someone else's situation and not have to repeat it yourself. Sorry to your Bestie for the ugly situation that befell her. Glad to hear she has landed solidly on both feet! And I think many of us have learned something through this discussion.
Elisa

Anonymous said...

Hmm.

No advice here, but it *is* my worst nightmare. I've gone to great lengths to hide my blogging life from my professional life because you just never know. And I think that's sad. Sad, but true.

(Thank you for your comments tonight, you made me very, very happy.) :)

Miss Betty Fjord said...

It's obvious from the comments that this is an issue that requires some thought. I was unlucky - and worked in a highly politicised environment which made the negative consequences of a minor indiscretion rather more serious than anyone would have expected. But it just goes to show that you can't be too careful. Good intentions don't make you safe ... and you never really know who's watching.

It's a shame that the experience has put me off blogging (understandably!) but rest assured that I will not give up writing altogether. I'm saving it all up for a book ... when I retire!

Anonymous said...

You do a great job at keeping your stuff anonymous, but I have wondered what would happen if one of your students or their parent happened upon your blog and saw your picture there. I think, because you do share stories of your students, I would probably take down the picture in the sidebar. Even though you never share names or anything, people can be VERY touchy about their kids.
I sometimes wish I had kept things a little more anonymous as well. I've found out someone did a background check on me recently, and have also had some people looking up specific photos of my son repeatedly. It's a little creepy and makes me kind of want to give up blogging altogether.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing you decided to keep the picture up and write less about work? That's hard. I don't work but I do write about my family for my family. I probably wouldn't write much about the extended family's affairs knowing that they might be reading. I'm guessing that might be about the same thing. I have to right to write about my own but discretion would exercised if I go beyond that.