Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 28 January 2009

Heatwave

This weather is not just unbearable, it is downright dangerous.
This is the kind of weather where things break, sometimes even people break.
The day is a long nightmare and when you finally get to sleep at night with ice packed around your neck, you know you will wake up to the same thing again tomorrow except that the retained heat will make everything just that little bit hotter, the car air conditioner will have to work a little bit harder and the train lines that didn't buckle yesterday might just do so today. Every ensuing day adds to the interminable surreal quality of life.
People start to do strange things.

Don't know what my little weather widget is saying right now but as I type it is after 11pm and the outside temperature only recently dropped below 40C.

The 'evaporative cooler' is not cutting it and it was so hot outside today that it hurt to breathe.

And of course, with this hideous heat you get BUGS.

On a positive note they have cancelled the Swimming Carnival on Friday so we get to skulk in air conditioned close proximity to sweaty, smelly, teenagers. Joy.

On another positive note we haven't seen the snake for a few days. Maybe he has baked behind the retaining wall? Mmmmmm. Snake-kebab.

Off to do a chapter of Year 10 Algebra in order to be ahead of the class.

Wish I could concentrate but it's so........hot...........

9 comments:

Blueberry said...

you have unbarable heat and we have cold with ice/snow falling from the sky.

hope you cool down soon!!

Unknown said...

i hope you are finding a way to get cool....i think i would rather be cold than hot...you really cannot think when it is that hot!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Blueberry - we woke up to a couple of inches of snow and the temp is somewhere around 0 degrees F - so well below freezing!

With the cold - you can always add another blanket - it's hard to cool off when it is so wicked hot.

have a soak in a cool tub!

Anonymous said...

oh that was me - hit the button too soon!!
Elisa

Brittany said...

Can I say I am jealous of you...just a tad... Blueberry and I live close, as you know...and well...we were snowed in all day. SNOWED in. GAH!

Keep cool, my friend!

we_be_toys said...

Ack! I hate it when its hot. Sending chilly thoughts to you, and hopes that the AC holds out.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to demonstrate my butchness by saying that it's not so bad. Admittedly, I had some moments of panic when the A/C cacked itself yesterday, but that was because of Zach. Really! It's a bit strange, really, town is emptier than usual on a Friday. I worked from home yesterday and I reckon a lot of people are avoiding the public transport snarl and staying in their A/C. But when the power goes out they won't be so happy.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya Ariza! Our water pump died the other day so we had no water, and consequently, no air con. We camped at my sister's for the day until we could fix it. Even now the air con is going and I can't tell the difference. I slept 6 or 7 hours last night (a record this week!) but when I woke up I felt as if I hadn't been to sleep at all. It's meant to be 47 here tomorrow. This sucks.

Stacy said...

We are having the exact opposite of you. This will be probably the 4th coldest January on record...since the late 1800's. I'm so tired of being cold all the time! The kids haven't been able to go outside and play more than a few days this month since it has been dangerously cold. People have died from being stuck out in the cold or the homeless that couldn't find appropriate shelter. Weather extremes are never fun or safe.