Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Friday 12 June 2009

Theme Thursday: Sunshine

A rushed Theme Thursday this week as I sit here in the freezing cold in front of the bar heater (eeek $$$$$$$) ! Sunshine is a dim memory at the moment although we are loving all the rain.
This sunshine was back in January on Noarlunga beach when my sister and her kids were here from the UK. That's Ginger, recently turned 10, and the Small Boy who, thinking back to the last weekend, appears to have grown significantly in the last 5 months!

Boogie boarding is a wonderful pastime on the beach in summer: it's not as difficult as surfing, nor does it take you out to the dangerous shark infested deep waters (;-) you think I'm joking don't you?) but it offers a sense of satisfaction and a minor thrill as the near shore waves carry you onto the sand. I think the faces tell the story.

So I'll get back to work and the bitter chill of an Adelaide winter, while you go on over to Cheese Party and see what sunshine is warming up the other hemisphere!






8 comments:

Amy Jo said...

I was worried you'd be hard pressed for a current photo. Sorry! But that is still a great shot. Childrens' faces are so expressive. They haven't yet learned to mask their emotions, and it's so fun to peek into their minds via their expressions. Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

I always loved boogie boarding growing up...I think I'll have my five year old try it this year. Except I have a feeling those waters are a bit warmer than those on the chilly Maine coast!

Suzer said...

I'm very curious as to how much these bar heaters actually rack up in costs...all Aussies seem to absolutely freak out at the expenditure, including my old man, who keeps trying to shut ours off in the bedroom.

A Free Man said...

Arizaphale. Come on. You've lived in Britain. Bitter chill? Seriously? Bitter is when you get negative temperatures. Single digits is just a little brisk. You big softie!

Jill said...

Oh no, I don't think your kidding on the shark infested waters - I remember one time waiting in line for something at the beach and talking to the people in line about a recent shark attack and the guy in front of me was like, "I don't know why this one is such a big deal. It happens every year." And was like, "Oh. I guess I just forget to read the papers most years..."

Very sweet picture!

What's a bar heater? Is that like a space heater?

A Free Man - I've been complaining that this summer has been a little bit too cold for me. It's only 78 (with 90% humidity) right now, and it's 8:30 in the morning already (for cryin' out loud)!

Megan said...

oh yes, who doesn't love a good boogie board session...except here in oregon, where the water is cold even in the summer! the kids somehow still love it, though :).

Arizaphale said...

AFM: But in the UK they have central heating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessie said...

Oh, that looks really fun! I would give ALMOST anything to live close to a beach.