Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Wednesday 23 February 2011

Bits N' Pieces

Today I was thinking that being in a new place and trying to get 'up to speed' is like having someone empty a jigsaw out over your head. All the pieces are being given to you but they make NO sense. After a while you've found the edge pieces and you have a frame; then you look at pieces you've seen before and THIS time they make more sense and you can find a place to slot them in....

I feel there are people who must be saying " But we told her that two weeks ago, why has she only just 'got' it?" It's just that, now I've got a context to hang it on.

My little autistic boy had a bad day the other day. He was kind of limp and unco-operative in the afternoon and had been involved in some kind of ruckus in the boys toilets at lunchtime, which left a lot of paper hand towels strewn about all over the floor. When it came time to leave, Daddy arrived to pick him up. This was a change from the norm; it was usually Grandad. Well, this was too much for him. His eyes welled up, his face crumpled and he began to wail "No, no, I can't." He fell onto his knees and buried his face in the carpet sobbing inconsolably.

This is what a change in routine means for him. It was heart breaking to watch. Daddy handled it really well though. He got down low and asked Henry to look at him, then he explained that everything was ok and that Henry was going to be alright. Even as the wailing continued Henry wrapped his arms around daddy's legs and tearfully waved goodbye to us as he was carried off. It was heart rending.

Meanwhile I am struggling to pitch my Add English classes at the right level and I have to write a whole raft of NEPs. But I AM happy!!!! Off to Port Vincent on the weekend for the State sailing titles. Well, sailing for some of us; beach and quiet reading for others!

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Glad to hear the pieces are fitting together! New jobs are always so hard to get into the groove with.

I have friends with autistic kids and this sounds familiar. They really need their routine to give them balance. Poor little guy. :(

Have fun relaxing and reading this weekend!

Jill said...

Yes, new jobs are tough! I remember it took me half a school year just to find the closest restroom at the job I have now. Sorry on the tough day with Henry. That does sound heart wrenching. :-(

Maggie said...

I am glad to hear things are getting settled! I hate the challenge of trying to get used to a new job...I'm a bit of a routine lover myself... :)

Unknown said...

We need to give lots of attention to people having some disorders and also we need to give them unique and special gifts, Ezi Gifts create affordable, exquisite and unique DIY gifts and party supplies suitable for any occasion or event. Order online now or call (02) 8786 1189! http://www.ezi-gifts.com.au/