Words of Wisdom

Youth is wasted on the young.

Tuesday 30 April 2013

I'm Digging a Ditch Where Madness Lives

Sometimes when things are at their darkest a little ray of sunshine beaks through.

Not that our darkness can even cast a shadow on the circumstances of many people in this world; we are so blessed really. Still, any regular reader of this blog will be well aware of the limitless dysfunction of this family (and these are just a few examples) and I am sure our builders would attest to the same.

This past week has been yet another litany of stress:
Himself's business (why oh why did I get involved? Oh yes, because they needed someone who would remember to pay the bills); mounting unfinished jobs at work which were meant to be completed during the holidays (wooooosh....that was the deadlines passing); the builders (so where do you want this down pipe?); No 1 Son, here for a short spell which has extended to months (not that we mind except that we know he is simply avoiding things); the BA's approaching 18th birthday with attendant monster party (what was I thinking????); a nasty letter from the taxman...
So it was with a delight bordering on rapture that I came home to this tonight.


Why, you ask me? Well, it seems that both my stepsons have worked together, for the best part of a day, to dig trenches in unforgiving clay soil, so that the storm water may be connected up tomorrow ready for the paving to recommence on Thursday. They also purchased the required PVC pipe and assorted joining pieces.
Unsolicited.
Without supervision!
For no monetary reward.
And without killing each other.


Just when you think they are beyond hope....... <3 p="">
Here's the finished pergola awaiting the paving.


When that is done I get to pick up the new outdoor setting, hopefully before May 11th when the BA has her birthday party............

I mean, why do it with time to spare when you can have the enervating experience of biting your fingernails right up until the last moment?



5 comments:

Gayle said...

Wow! What an amazing transformation. Unsolicited work? Hmmm, they must want something. I hope everything is done for the party.

dawn marie giegerich said...

Interesting title. Sounds old world, maybe Shakespeare, maybe Edgar Allen Poe, maybe Stephen King, maybe not. And did I ever tell you I LOVE the title of your blog.

Arizaphale said...

About the title...it came from here: http://www.lyricswow.com/dave-matthews-band/digging-a-ditch/

Hey Gayle! You and me both on the party thing!!

Dawn: It's full of meaning :-) and a fair bit of irreverence....

dawn marie giegerich said...

Party? What party? Why am I always the last to know?

Jill said...

Oh yeah I liked the title too! (and the blog title of course) AND the great surprise! It looks so pretty already!